Re: I am looking for a supplier of laptops with 64 AMD processors, preferrably Opteron.

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 10:42 -0600, linux wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:

> >> Wow, I want a laptop with 64 AMD processors, too!  :)
> >>
> >> I assume you mean 64-bit procesors?  This is pretty open ended, but I'm
> >> partial to the Compaq laptops.  The one I have is not Nvidia, it's ATI.
> >>   I've found nvidia drivers and linux to be a PITA to get configured, so
> >> I've avoided them for quite a while now.  But then, I don't really need
> >> 3D accel for what I do anyway.
> >>

> > I have an HP Pavillion ZV6000.  Comes with a Athlon 64 and ATI graphics,
> > wired gigabit ethernet and a Broadcom 802.11g wireless:
> >
> > [root@golem2 xxx]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > processor       : 0
> > vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> > cpu family      : 15
> > model           : 47
> > model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
> > stepping        : 2
> > cpu MHz         : 1000.000
> > cache size      : 512 KB
> > fpu             : yes
> > fpu_exception   : yes
> > cpuid level     : 1
> > wp              : yes
> > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
> > lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm
> > bogomips        : 1995.51
> > TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
> > clflush size    : 64
> > cache_alignment : 64
> > address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
> > power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc
> >
> > [root@golem2 xxx]# lspci
> > <snip>
> > 01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon
> > XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)
> > <snip>
> > 03:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
> > <snip>
> > 03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
> > 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
> >
> > 60GB hard drive (replaced with a 120GB for me!)  Pretty cheap.  Note:
> > I use ndiswrapper for the Broadcom wireless.  The bcm43xx driver truly
> > sucks rocks for me.  Never have gotten it to stabilize.  ndiswrapper and
> > a 64-bit XP driver works a treat.
> >

> The Pavillion line is looking pretty good.... Do you know the
> differences in the Athlon 64 X2 and Turion 64 X2?  I am leaning heavily
> towards the HP Pavillion dv9000z series which offers the Turion 64 X2
> Dual-Core TL-60 with a very decent NVIDIA graphics set.

The Turion is the "mobile" version of the Athlon in much the same way as
the Intel Centrino is the "mobile" version of the Xeon.  It's a bit
slower, but uses a lot less power and has several other optimizations
that make it better in a battery-powered environment.

My laptop is older (Athlon 64 as opposed to an Athlon 64/X2), so I don't
have all the neat new gizmos.  Since it's not a Turion, it does eat
battery power like a 16-year-old eats pizza.  However, for what I ask a
laptop to do (and a Linux-powered one at that), I'd be hard pressed to
replace it.

If I want horsepower, well I have a dual proc Opteron 2210 (two
dual-core processors with 8GB) as well as an Athlon 64/X2 at home.

As Tim Allen once said, "More POWER!  Arg!  Arg!  Arg!"

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -