Re: I am looking for a supplier of laptops with 64 AMD processors, preferrably Opteron.

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 14:16 -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
> linux wrote:
> > I am looking for a supplier of laptops with 64 AMD processors,
> > preferrably Opteron, on which to install FC6-x64..  Any suggestions?
> > recent NVIDIA graphics would be a definite bonus.
> >
> > Ed
> >

> Wow, I want a laptop with 64 AMD processors, too!  :)
>
> I assume you mean 64-bit procesors?  This is pretty open ended, but I'm
> partial to the Compaq laptops.  The one I have is not Nvidia, it's ATI.
>   I've found nvidia drivers and linux to be a PITA to get configured, so
> I've avoided them for quite a while now.  But then, I don't really need
> 3D accel for what I do anyway.

I have an HP Pavillion ZV6000.  Comes with a Athlon 64 and ATI graphics,
wired gigabit ethernet and a Broadcom 802.11g wireless:

[root@golem2 xxx]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 47
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
lm 3dnowext 3dnow up pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 1995.51
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm stc

[root@golem2 xxx]# lspci
<snip>
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc ATI Radeon
XPRESS 200M 5955 (PCIE)
<snip>
03:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
<snip>
03:02.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)

60GB hard drive (replaced with a 120GB for me!)  Pretty cheap.  Note:
I use ndiswrapper for the Broadcom wireless.  The bcm43xx driver truly
sucks rocks for me.  Never have gotten it to stabilize.  ndiswrapper and
a 64-bit XP driver works a treat.

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -
-         If this is the first day of the rest of my life...         -
-                        I'm in BIG trouble!                         -