Re: many many error messages in kernel log : 4gb seg fixup, process acroread

Ken Tanzer wrote:
John Q. reported this problem on 12/31, with no reply. We are seeing the same problem in our logs. Does anyone have an idea how to solve it, or even some suggestions for troubleshooting or investigating? Thanks in advance.

Ken

Hello fedora-list,

I have fedora FC6 on i386 machine with latest acroread. (7.0.8).
When starting acroerad and all the time it is opened I see many
many error messages in the kernel log:

Dec 31 12:27:47 rr kernel: printk: 7133 messages suppressed.
Dec 31 12:27:47 rr kernel: 4gb seg fixup, process acroread (pid
14328), cs:ip 73:00d719f7
Dec 31 12:27:52 rr kernel: printk: 2743 messages suppressed.
Dec 31 12:27:52 rr kernel: 4gb seg fixup, process acroread (pid
14328), cs:ip 73:00d719f7

This messages appear each second , which means thousands messages in a
second.

At the second I close the app, these messages stop.
Any idea why ?
Maybe ps aux|grep acro and post that.
Are you displaying pdf file at the time you are seeing the message ?
This could be just with the firefox plugin as well ?
If you tail -f /var/log/messages and start/stop acrobat, do the messages start / stop ?

If you use the fc6 Evince 0.6.0 to view a pdf does the message continue ?
It seems to be a bug in the upstream acroread itself, and if so it might be worth searching adobe's web site for faq/forums/bugzilla's, and posting your experiences there.

DaveT.