Re: How to display CLI output on another machine

On Monday 08 January 2007 07:59, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 22:39 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I can see what you mean, and that process works ok, but what I'm looking
> > for is a way to view whats already on machine B's Konsole from machine A.
> >
> > The example was. I'm working on machine B. With the Konsole I run apt-get
> > update, then apt-get dist-upgrade. The upgrade runs to completion, and
> > I'm left with a lot of text on Konsole. I have a query regarding the
> > update, but my email client is on the other machine. If I close Konsole I
> > lose the text, unless I save it as a .txt file. What I'm looking to do is
> > keep machine B's Konsole open, and be able to access it from machine A,
> > and in this way can paste the text from machine B's Konsole, which is now
> > viewable on machine A, onto machine A's Kmail composer.
>
> There's also VNC, which allows you to see another machine's X on the one
> you're working on.  Depending on how you start it up you can either have
> a clone of its current screen, or get another fresh login.  Obviously,
> the first option is what you'd want, and I seem to recall that you could
> do that by firing up the VNC server process on the machine that you want
> share its display, in the current login.
>
> i.e. While you're using B, start a VNC server on it.  Then use a VNC
> client on A.

I've only used VNC once before, anyway after finding out how it works again I
tried it. This works fine, and I can highlight and paste Konsole content into
Kmails composer on machine A.  The only problem, and IIRC was the reason I
havn't used VNC is because when it's running, both machines are using 100%
CPU.  Even to keep the connection I've had to run the VNC client on machine A
at 8 colours.

Machine A:  Gateway 500, P111 Katmai, Rage128 graphics.
Machine B:  I-Friend, 1.3GHz Celeron, Trident Cyberbladei1 graphics.

Thanks for the suggestion Tim.

Nigel.