Re: latest redhat/fedora for a !old! notebook ?

David Timms <dtimms <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
> OK, I'll give that a try as well. I guess that would mean continuous
> swap file usage, even at idle. The idea was for it to be a FC based
> router/dhcp/dns server.

I don't think you'll get much swapping outside of package updating (RPM)
operations with that use pattern. If you were trying to run GNOME or KDE on it,
it would be different (and don't even try running OpenOffice.org 2 or
Eclipse...).

> Does this suggest that yum/rpm are just too memory hungry for such a
> machine ?

Both rpm and the XML repository metadata which is now used by all of yum, apt
and smart require lots of memory to handle, so you'll probably see some
swapping there. But that shouldn't affect regular use.

        Kevin Kofler