Re: latest redhat/fedora for a !old! notebook ?

Kevin Kofler wrote:
David Timms <dtimms <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
1. The FC6 installer jumps in pretty quickly to say ~"you dont have
enough ram for fedora core 6", and then exits.
With just 32MB ram, what is the latest fedora/redhat that should be
installable ?

I'd recommend looking at the Slinky installer:
http://www.fzk.at/SLINKY/
It currently supports up to FC5. You can upgrade that to FC6 using apt-rpm (update your sources.list and sources.list.d/*.list, apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade), or yum or smart if you prefer. Make sure you set up enough swap space though, you'll need it.
OK, I'll give that a try as well. I guess that would mean continuous swap file usage, even at idle. The idea was for it to be a FC based router/dhcp/dns server.

Does this suggest that yum/rpm are just too memory hungry for such a machine ?

DaveT.