Re: xserver access problem

On Sunday 07 January 2007 13:30, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I do not understand why you have to run X as root just for X-10
>>> control.
>>
>> That's because I'm a stubborn old fart and run myself as root 99.9% of
>> the time.
>>
>>> Opening up the X display when it is being run as root is
>>> also not a good idea. But if you are determined to do it this way,
>>> then you have a couple of options. One way is to run "xhost +gene"
>>> in the X secession to give gene access to the display.
>>
>> Which it does not, gene seems to be an invalid user.
>>
>> FWIW xhost + allows it to run, but as gene it doesn't seem to have
>> perms to do anything but quit.  No skin, no playlist etc.
>
>How are you accessing the machine? Is gene a valid user on that
>machine?

Yes, although I had to make gene a member of the uucp group before heyu
could access /dev/ttyS1.

>Also, are you starting xmms on that machine, or on another
>machine and displaying it on that machine? Another problem you may
>run into is that because gene is not logged into the local machine,
>he/she probably does not have access to the sound system on that
>machine. (Take a look at console.perms.)

Well, after a while I get tired of beating my head on the walls, so when I
rebooted to 2.6.20-rc4 just now, I had set rc.local to run it as root,
and everything Just Works(TM).  I use an x10 palmpad to run xmms
remotely, and while I could make it run ok as gene with an xhost +
command, it still couldn't connect to the sound system so it was mute.

Screw it.  If (and this is typical in my experience) the user is to be
able to do this stuff, then dammit, make it work for the user OOTB.  A
72+ hour fight with this is not productive use of my remaining time.

>If you are running xmms on a different machine, and having the
>display on this machine, then the playlists and and skins will be
>those available on the machine you are running xmms on, and not the
>one that it is displayed on. It will also be (trying) to use the
>sound hardware on the machine it is running on, and not the one it
>is displayed one. It will only be able to play songs that are on the
>machine it is running on, and not songs on the machine it is
>displayed on. (Unless the files are shared over the network...)

They are not, its all running on this machine.

Thanks for trying, Mikkel, I appreciate it even when I'm all grouched out
over the difficulties.

Rant: Such as this is a large part of why linux is seen as difficult by
Joe Sixpack.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)