Fwd: experimental 2.6.19 kernel preview.

[cross-posting in case there are any brave folks on this list too
 in search of adventure..]

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk
--- Begin Message ---
On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:23:02PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

 > note that this build doesn't have the fix for the mmap corruption problem
 > which got quite a bit of attention last week.  I'll get a fixed build
 > up there soon, but in the meantime, tread carefully with this one.

I've been working on a 2.6.19 update for FC6 over the last
few weeks, and it's starting to feel 'almost ready'.
Before I push this out to updates-testing though, I'd rather
have a few people 'kick the tyres' to make sure there's
nothing really silly wrong with these.

There are still 1-2 bits that need some more tweaking/fixing that I
already know about, but I'm blocking on other people to get those fixed.

You can find them at http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC6/

Notable points:

 - The big difference here vs the 2.6.19 that briefly showed up
   in rawhide is that this kernel sticks with the older IDE code
   (so you won't get a nasty surprise when your /dev/hda becomes sda etc).
   I just don't feel comfortable pushing that as an update without
   worrying about regressions.

 - Another notable change in this update:
   The addition of -debug kernels.  All the slowdowns and nasty dmesg-filling
   debug output you've come to expect in a rawhide kernel, but in FC6!
   Well, hopefully not too many of the nasty messages, but this is the
   same as the other FC6 kernels, but with lockdep, slab debug etc turned on
   which should prove to be useful for tracking down some of the nastier
   bugs we've had in recent times.   The slow-down from these kernels
   isn't really *that* bad on most workloads, I tend to run with these turned
   on all the time, and don't notice the difference (but Santa sometimes brings
   me shinier computers than others so this may not be universally true).

 - 2.6.19-1.2888 and above are based on 2.6.19.2rc1 so have the fix for
   the nasty data corruption bug that turned up in some workloads.

So, it's there, have it at, beat it up etc. It *should* be pretty solid,

All being well, the current plan is to get a slightly improved version
of this into updates-testing on Wednesday.  I'll do an FC5 version
on the flight to LCA and will get that built and pushed to fc5-updates-testing
as soon as I get network connectivity in the land of wallabies, cork hats
and `roos.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk