Re: Beryl options and nvidia

On 1/5/07, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:19 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 1/5/07, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> > > I have beryl running with nvidia prop. drivers with the following
> > > beryl --use-cow --force-aiglx --skip-gl-yield
> > > There are now problems with black windows etc... that may appear with
> > > other options. The X server is running with increased priority (set by
> > > using schedtool), so there responsiveness is good running tvtime
> > > smoothly even under system load.
> > > There is one small issue however: Before a menu window is filled with
> > > content, there may appear some artifacts in the window background. These
> > > disappear if I use the --force-nvidia option, but then UI responsiveness
> > > is distintively slower and tvtime does not run smoothly anymore.
> > > Is this is a known issue?
> >
> > There are known problems with the current nVidia drivers and the use of
> > Compiz/Beryl, secondary to the current incomplete implementation of
> > texture_from_pixmap (TFP) required for compositing. Based upon the
>
> incomplete in what way?

Quoting from the 9629 Release Highlights last November 7:

"Added initial support for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap."

The word "initial" suggests to any reasonable reader that the
implementation is not complete or at least not fully stable and
certainly experience over the two months since then has born that out.

There has been no further mention of TFP in any of the similar highlight
notes for any of the subsequent stable releases, despite hundreds of
posts on nvNews, here and elsewhere relative to ongoing problems with
running any of the composting managers.

Sorry if the word "initial" was misleading.  It was meant as an
indication that the 1.0-9629 beta driver was the first driver to
provide support for TFP, not that the support was incomplete.  The
support that was added to a driver from November was complete with
respect to the texture_from_pixmap specification.  As you didn't
actually reference any explicit missing functionality with respect to
the TFP specification, it seems that you're just equating compositing
bugs with incomplete support.

> > present timeline since nVidia was made aware of these issues (> 2
> > months), a fix appears to be a low priority for them and their official
> > line is that they are still "investigating the problem".  Taken
> > literally, that would suggest that they have not yet even identified the
> > problem, as opposed to "we are investigating possible solutions".
>
> And you know this how?

Well, as paid employee of nVidia, perhaps you will do me the courtesy of
formally correct me?  That has been your stock communication on the
nvNews Linux forum for weeks without further elaboration or any sign of
incremental progress.

Note that I used the words _incremental progress_, not "final, stable,
complete solution". There has been no confirmation of anyone actually
working on the problem other than trying to read between the lines of
the above statement. It does not mean that someone (or even more than
one person) is even working on the problem full time given the other
priorities that seem to be implicit in other statements also made on
nvNews.

Ignoring your misconceptions of how software development works for any
large codebase, I can tell you that the root cause of the issue is
currently fully understood.  However, as with any bug, its
prioritization is based on a number of factors which include, but are
not limited to, the severity of the issue, the percentage of
users/customers experiencing the issue, and the available workarounds
for the issue.  The compositing "black windows" bug impacts a
relatively small percentage of people, has a clear & simple
workaround, and therefore the time being allocated to providing a
solution is less than for bugs which have a higher priority.

> And i'm not sure why you'd want a beta
> driver when it was replaced with a newer non-beta several weeks ago.

Because, believe it or not Lonnie, there are lots of people here (me
included) who would gladly help nVidia test beta versions of your
drivers to help move things along here. But none have been forthcoming,
which is why I pointed out the beta page above and why I do check it
frequently looking for a new beta version to test.

That is understood, and why beta versions of the driver are posted
when available.  Currently the latest driver version is not a beta.
Believe it or not, people also complain quite vocally when the latest
released driver is a beta versus a non-beta.  Not everyone can be
pleased all of the time.  Additional beta drivers will be posted when
appropriate.

Beta and even alpha testing are common for folks within this community
and is something that I have done periodically with RH/FC over the past
several years dating back to the late RH 8.0 betas and for other FOSS
projects that I participate actively in.

Sure, but as you know the NVIDIA driver isn't a FOSS project.
Applying FOSS project standards to non-FOSS software (or vice-versa)
will always result in disapointment.

Ball's in your court.

I'm not sure what that means, but sure.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx