Re: Beryl options and nvidia

On 1/5/07, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> I have beryl running with nvidia prop. drivers with the following
> beryl --use-cow --force-aiglx --skip-gl-yield
> There are now problems with black windows etc... that may appear with
> other options. The X server is running with increased priority (set by
> using schedtool), so there responsiveness is good running tvtime
> smoothly even under system load.
> There is one small issue however: Before a menu window is filled with
> content, there may appear some artifacts in the window background. These
> disappear if I use the --force-nvidia option, but then UI responsiveness
> is distintively slower and tvtime does not run smoothly anymore.
> Is this is a known issue?

There are known problems with the current nVidia drivers and the use of
Compiz/Beryl, secondary to the current incomplete implementation of
texture_from_pixmap (TFP) required for compositing. Based upon the

incomplete in what way?

present timeline since nVidia was made aware of these issues (> 2
months), a fix appears to be a low priority for them and their official
line is that they are still "investigating the problem".  Taken
literally, that would suggest that they have not yet even identified the
problem, as opposed to "we are investigating possible solutions".

And you know this how?

Even more interesting is that their beta driver web page at:

   http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

appears to be now totally blank save the header graphic, presuming that
there is not a server problem.

It doesn't look blank to me.  And i'm not sure why you'd want a beta
driver when it was replaced with a newer non-beta several weeks ago.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org