Re: FC6: pestered by zombies

On Fri, 2007-05-01 at 12:50 +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
[snip]
> I have probably been reading the 'ps' manpage while sleeping and I
> had completely forgotten about 'pstree'. (I also managed to miss the
> option to show dependencies in "System->Administration->System Monitor").
>
> The culprit in my case is 'escd' from the 'esc-1.0.0-16.fc6' package.
> It spawns a 'netstat' child everytime and seems to fail to 'reap' them
> when closing.
>
> Maybe I should report this as a "buglet"?
>
> Alexander

I've seen some of these netstat zombies lately, but the culprit in my
case is evolution. From what I've been reading, if the parent process of
the zombie fails to reap it and the parent process terminates, the
zombie becomes a child of init which will periodically purge these
entries from the process table.

I'm not sure how often init does this, but these zombies aren't
consuming any resources (other than an entry in the process table) so it
shouldn't be anything to worry about. I hope.

Jeff