Re: DVD problem

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 19:49, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 01 January 2007 19:40, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
> > > I've not come across this problem before.  Most of my DVDs play
> > > correctly.  Is this an additional drm layer or similar?
> >
> > I do not know why you are having problems with xine.
> >
> > But you have to fix libavcodec, which is part of ffmpeg.
> >
> > ffmpeg contains all of the codecs: DivX3,4,5, xvid, aac, a52, etc...
> > In windows, it is known by ffdshow. It is the heart of mplayer.
> > ffmpeg can be downloaded from freshrpms (FC6):
> >
> > http://zod.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=801
> >
> > or, if you are not using FC6, then I suggest you to get ffmpeg from
> > ATrpms:
> >
> > http://atrpms.net/name/ffmpeg/
> >
> > If you want just to play dvds, the best program is vlc, also available
> > in freshrpms.
> > It has a better control of dvd menus.
> >
> > http://www.videolan.org/
>
> I haven't tried vlc yet.  What I have done is removed xine and everything
> related that I could find that came from livna and installed the freshrpms
> versions, so that everything matches.  I have ffmpeg-0.4.9-0.7.20061215.fc6
> and faad2-2.5-1.fc6 which I believe are the freshrpms versions.
> Unfortunately it has made no difference.  Xine still tells me
>
> The source seems encrypted, and can't be read.
> Your DVD is probably crypted.  According to your country laws, you can or
> can't install/use libdvdcss to be able to read this disc which you bought.
> (Media stream scrambled/encrypted)

On top of everything else, the change has broken mjpegtools.  It was, of
course, uninstalled and had to be reinstalled, but it is no longer possible
to edit an avi file with 'glav -p S filename.avi'.  I'm sick of this kind of
fighting.  It looks as though I'd be better off compiling mjpegtools from
source.

Anne