Re: Multimedia controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 4d52 ??

William Case wrote:
By the way;

Both the tvtime and bttv web sites *seem* to indicate that they are good
for using any ATI TV Wonder card. ??

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 21:20 -0500, William Case wrote:
Hi Phil;

Thank you.  Finally, some help.

I have no /dev/video0 or /dev/video (or /dev/radio).  In WindowsXP both
the TV and the FM Radio work so I assume the card is physically
installed correctly. See below.
[snip]
It seems Kudzu or whatever isn't even recognizing the existence of my
card, much less trying to supply a module or driver.  Tried bttv, bt878
and cx88.

lsmod | grep bttv returns
bttv                  178101  1 bt878
video_buf              28997  1 bttv
ir_common              32197  1 bttv
compat_ioctl32          5569  1 bttv
i2c_algo_bit           12873  1 bttv
btcx_risc               9161  1 bttv
tveeprom               18513  1 bttv
videodev               27073  1 bttv
v4l2_common            26305  2 bttv,videodev
i2c_core               25537  5
bttv,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_ec,i2c_i801

Ok, with a new card that may be compatible, the driver may not recognize it by the numbers.

ATI Technologies Inc Unknown

from your lspci may be an indication of this type of problem.

In the case where a driver will work with a device newer than the system device catalog (the hwdata rpm) you can specify the device ID on the modprobe command line and in the /etc/modprobe.conf.

The descriptions of the device on each line of lspci comes from the hardware database, /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids (from the hwdata rpm).  If the number does not match, it prints the number instead of the description.  In your case: 'ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 4d52' means that the vendor ID was found, but NOT the device ID (45d2).  Try lspci -n to see just the numbers.

So, you have two things to try.

Simply edit the  /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids file and add a line that will work.  The confusing part here for me is the ATI description and your description don't match.  The TV-Wonder series is by Brooktree, not ATI.

But in any case, that file will give you lots of clues to google for.

And, a 'yum update hwdata' may be all it takes to fix it in the first place.

Good luck.