Re: Multimedia controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device 4d52 ??

Hi Phil;

Thank you.  Finally, some help.

I have no /dev/video0 or /dev/video (or /dev/radio).  In WindowsXP both
the TV and the FM Radio work so I assume the card is physically
installed correctly.  See below.

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 18:55 -0700, Phil Meyer wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > 'lspc1' returns  "Multimedia controller: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown
> > device 4d52".  The unknown device is a TV Wonder 550 that has been
> > installed and works properly in WindowsXP.
> >
> > 'lsmod' returns no bttv or bt878 drivers.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, from the ATI site and the tvtimes site, it should
> > be using the bttv driver, but this is not entirely clear to me from
> > their documentation.
> >
> > GATOS is not applicable.
> >
> > Can someone tell me how to get this TV Tuner card installed and working
> > in Fedora Core 6?  Do I have to modprobe?  What?
> >

> There is generally no harm in loading kernel modules for experimentation.
>
> For example, in your case it would be fine to:
>
> # modprobe bttv
> # dmesg | tail -20
>
> and see if the driver finds the device.
> If not, try the other ones.
>
> Its easy to spot when a driver recognizes a device.  If it does not,
> dmesg simply says driver loaded.
>
> If the driver does list information about the device, then you need to
> make an appropriate entry in /etc/modprobe.conf to make sure it comes up
> properly on future reboots.

I tried your suggestion and got:

Linux video capture interface: v2.00
bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture

[root@CASE ~]# tvtime
Running tvtime 1.0.1.
Reading configuration from /etc/tvtime/tvtime.xml
Reading configuration from /root/.tvtime/tvtime.xml
videoinput: Cannot open capture device /dev/video0: No such file or
directory
Thank you for using tvtime.

Checked /dev/* and no video0 exists.

It seems Kudzu or whatever isn't even recognizing the existence of my
card, much less trying to supply a module or driver.  Tried bttv, bt878
and cx88.

--
Regards Bill