Re: Sick of crappy wireless, suggestions?

"Knute Johnson" <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>I have bcm4318.  I've got wireless working with windoze driver, but it's
>>very unreliable.  I've had enough.  Can anyone suggest an add-on card for
>>my laptop that will work well with FC6, natively?
>
> I'm not being a pain here but I've asked this question several times
> on this list and have never gotten a good answer.  I would really
> like to get WPA working on my laptop.

I have a worthless bcm4318 also (bcm4319 actually, which is even worse
in terms of how much futzing one has to do to get it to even work
unreliably.)

What I did was get a slightly overspec-ed cardbus card with an atheros
chipset and a small external magnetic antenna that I stick to the top
of the LCD.  The RX and TX signals are great compared to the BCM.  I
now have no more problems getting a signal from outside the house.
Even esoteric things like ipv6 work (unlike the ndiswrapper bcm
solution which only worked for ipv4, and badly at that).

The card:

         http://www.ubnt.com/super_range_cardbus.php4

I can't find a better site right now, I think I only paid $10 or so.
It is a 3cm magnetic base and 16cm tall with a few meters of cable
terminated in an mmcx connector.

         http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-mobile3.php

The price on the card and antenna vary wildly, so if you shop around
you can save quite a bit.

I've been extremely happy with the combination and how solid the "ath"
drivers are.

-wolfgang