Re: Safest way of accessing a home computer from outside?

On 12/30/06, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is the safest way of allowing access to a home system
from a remote computer?
I am running Fedora-6 and shorewall.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I agree - ssh with no password and then use certificates to
authenticate.  And start it with the -X option if you want to be able
to run XWindows applications over ssh.

As for a router, as was noted, you simply need to configure your
router so that all traffic coming in on whatever port you decide to
use for ssh (22 being the default) is forwarded to your ssh server.
You will want to assign a static IP to your ssh server (either
configuring the box itself, or if your router supports it, assign
static IP via DHCP for the nic in your ssh server).  It would also be
wise to disable root access via ssh.  If you need root access, you can
su or sudo once you've connected to your server.

To copy files, you can use scp to access your ssh server.  If you
simply want to set up a shared drive on your server, then have a look
at hamachi.  I've played with it (the Windows version mind you, but
they have a Linux version as well).  You can find Hamachi at
http://www.hamachi.cc/.  The nice thing with Hamachi is that it's zero
configuration.  You don't have to open ports on your router to get it
to work.  The down side if you are paranoid is that you are relying on
someone else's network and product vs known/trusted ssh.

And of course VNC and its flavours might do the trick.  I am pretty
certain you can tunnel VNC through ssh if you want to wrap a layer of
protection/encryption.  I had managed to get VNC to work over Hamachi
for a fleeing moment a while back (Windows box otherwise I would have
tried it with ssh).

Jacques B.