Re: donated computers lab setup - Croquet

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 17:49 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 13:20 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > a similar setup in Beckley WV, using 16 XT's and 386's as dumb
> > terminals. Someone donated two Dickens Terminal Servers and I just
> > ran DOS on those machines and Qterm for text logins at 9600 baud.
> > People could use Pine and email to the internet just fine or play MUD.
>
> Not too many years ago I scored a collection of XTs, 286s, and a 386
> from the local high school that was just going to dump them.  I sorted
> out what worked, and a local disability group took them for their blind
> members to log onto their BBS to chat, do mail, and play games.  Even
> what most would consider to be obselete, often has a use to someone.
>
> The lady who took them off my hands was confined to a wheelchair, barely
> able to speak or do anything physical, but you'd never guess that when
> you chatted to her on-line.  Computers to her, were a liberating
> experience.  Just for a change, she got treated the same as everyone
> else.

That's what these things are for, my friend. That to me is the whole
ball of wax, to actually do useful things for the advancement of the
individual.

You may be ripe for Croquet! It's similar to "SecondLife" (they mutually
cooperate with code devel) Croquet being the actual tools to develop
Virtual Worlds.

The University of Wisconsin is responsible for the repository. It does
have memory, cpu and gpu requirements above that of cast off computers
though. But someone who is wheelchair confined may be able to get a
larger machine through the efforts of friends, church, community
initiatives. I'd like to see more linux users involved in it's direction
and development though. I can use the help!! Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net