Skype solution

I remember a relatively recent thread in which folks complained about having trouble getting their microphones to work in Skype with FC6, but I don't recall a definitive solution being posted. It took me quite a bit of fiddling, but I finally got it.

For the use of anyone who cares, here are the relevant mixer settings from my GNOME volume control. I did this on a Thinkpad T41, with Intel 82801DB-ICH4 using the ALSA drivers. I'm using skype-1.3.0.53-fc5.

On the Playback tab, line in and mic are muted. Master and PCM are unmuted--Master is up full and PCM is at about 75%.

On the Capture tab, both the speaker icon and the mic icon are unmuted. They are linked, and they are set at about 40% gain. (Much higher and you'll start to hear feedback.)

On the Switches tab, I have Mic Boost (+20dB) checked, and (inexplicably, but it works--I don't know yet if other settings also work) Microphone Capture and Line-in Capture are unchecked.

On the Options tab, Mic Select is Mic1.

When the Skype test call connects, if you have the Capture tab displayed, you will see the gain boosted to about 70%. The test call works fine and the playback is perfectly audible.

So the key seems to be to put Mic Boost on and adjust the gain for a reasonable level with no feedback.

Hope that info helps somebody.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences