Re: donated computers lab setup

Ric Moore wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:39 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:

Good Will Industries used to slap FC3 on theirs, in Roanoke VA. Great
people to do so. They'd sell an entire outfit for $100. I doubt FC5 or
FC6 would install though. Happy New Year to you, too. Ric

 I've taken to calling our local GoodWill "IllWill" instead, as they
just chuck 90% of the donated hardware into the trash, and threaten to
call the cops when I dig it out.  The *big* stinker is that they cut
whatever cords they can get their little paws on, so I end up leaving
most of the monitors...

Make a deal! Come on dowwwnn... just get with them and have a standing
offer that you will deal with their discards, if they leave them intact
and haul them off for free. Tell them what you are doing and you'll
donate back one working system out of 10, or something like that.

SMILE!

Some of the disadvantaged get mean as hell about it, so invoke the
Lord's name, eternal and everlasting Hell-fire, if they continue to
throw away stuff that can be used by a child or worthy causes... (use
the 'innocents angle', that usually gets through!) If that fails, find a
street ministry or halfway house that needs the gear and turn them loose
on 'em as you're trying to donate to them anyways. I do that
regularly... at 57 and pure whitebread in appearance, I have to call in
the militia every so often and then never have another problem. Not when
Rev. Bubba shows up with a Bible. <shudders>

I sat next to Tookie Williams girlfriend, at our October meeting, who
moved back to NC after they killed Tookie. She can walk onto ANY turf...
Powerful lady who had been part of the gang scene when she was younger.
She gets Respect with a capital R. As a matter of fact, email me
offline, if you have any more problems. I have friends in places.
<cackles> who just might set those folks on the straight and narrow as I
maintain our database of over 500 "resources" that connect all across
the country...  folks that don't take being screwed around lightly
anymore nor will tolerate those not about the "Good Work" among the
disadvantaged.

It's awesome the moral firepower these folks have. Grimly determined is
a good description, when someone acts the fool. Just let me know the
city / State of the Good Will. It'll be MISTER Mohler the next time you
show up. <evil grin> Ric

:-D