Re: sdc suddently sdd?

Tom Horsley wrote:
I just realized that sometime fairly recently my usb2
drive I use for backups has stopped showing up as
/dev/sdc and instead shows up as /dev/sdd (with no
device named /dev/sdc anywhere).

Wah happened?

How can I reliably mount my backup drive on /backup
if the device name changes at random?

Hopefully my fixed disks will at least stay sda
and sdb?

Tom,

Does the drive have some kind of power saving feature which might turn it off after some period? I've noticed (FC5) that unmounting, unplugging and plugging back in (quickly) a USB stick "sometimes" changes the device. I thought I was going nuts.

Bob...