Re: Will my graphics card support this?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006, Charles Curley wrote:

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 10:37:58PM -0500, Andrew Robinson wrote:
Charles Curley wrote:
On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 09:15:01PM -0500, Andrew Robinson wrote:
I received a Dell 20 inch monitor for Christmas. It's native resolution
is 1680x1050. Looking at my Xorg.0.log file, I find these lines:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (hsync out of range)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using default mode "1680x1050" (hsync out of range)

Do these lines mean my video card will not support this resolution or
that I need to do some configuration to get the card to support this
resolution or something else entirely?

Have you run system-config-display (as root)? It should detect the new
monitor and let you make whatever adjustments seem appropriate.

Just in case, back up /etc/X11/xorg.conf before you do so. Just in
case.

system-config-display fails with a host of python error messages. Can
you tell me how to fix that?

I cannot. I suspect that a copy of the error messages would help
someone more knowledgeable than I. You might also indicate which
drivers you are using, with version numbers.

Need the model number of the monitor. You might need to add a mode line for that monitor. It is not a resolution that I recognise. The NVIDIA driver is pretty flexable though.

There is a modeline generation utility, but I cannot remember the name of it. (My brain is still booting this morning.)

--
"Invoking the supernatural can explain anything, and hence explains nothing."
                  - University of Utah bioengineering professor Gregory Clark