Re: qwerty layout shortcuts

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Tim wrote:

Tim:
For those who find some key combinations awkward, I'll point out that
when you're taught to type properly, you find out that two-key
combinations are supposed to be done with two hands.  One hand does the
qualifier, the other does the key.

i.e. For qwerty, you'd do right hand CTRL key, left hand C key.

Ed Greshko:
Funny, I've been doing Ctrl+C with my left hand only for the past 30 years
and it never seemed to be "improper".

I can do it both ways.  One-handed typing requires some painful
contortions.  Even worse, is that it's mostly with my left hand, and I'm
right-handed.  Though I usually end up doing it that way, out of bad
habit.  But if I'm doing a lot of repetive cutting and pasting, where
search and replace isn't suitable, I do use both hands for CTRL + C and
CTRL + V typing.

What seems "improper" to me is to move my right hand off its "home"
keys and use my right index finger to push my left index finger out of
the way since it is hovering over the C when my pinky finger of my
left hand moves to the Ctrl key.

I really can't visualise what you mean here.  You're using one hand to
manipulate the fingers of the other, so you can type CTRL C with the
left hand?

I think Ed means left-hand CTRL key, right-hand C key. That's not what Tim suggested and it's not what I'd think of for a two-handed combination.

I can't resist pointing out that the Microsoft "innovation" of putting the left control key to the left of the space bar is the devil's inspiration. Long-time Unix hands and early PC users will remember keyboards with the CTRL key next to the A, where God intended it to be. (You can still get them from Sun, and I always swap my control and caps-lock keys in Prefereces -> Keyboard -> Layout Options.

That makes one-handed control-key combos a *lot* easier, and it makes using Emacs a dramatically different experience than otherwise.

You're not supposed to do them one-handed, no keyboard is really suited
for that.  That's why it's painful to do.  It's also one of the reasons
that we have shift and caps lock keys.

I always thought people were supposed to do things in the way that is the
most comfortable or least painful.

The point is that the keyboards were designed to be used in a way, which
is relatively easy to do, even if not brilliantly efficient.  When you
operate against the design, which is possible, it can be akward and
painful.

To anyone who's ever thought that a keyboard was designed as a torture
device, they're probably correct, but they are quite easy to use if you
learn how.  Proper touch typing is easier than hunt and peck.  It's
faster, and less painful.  It's worth it if you use keyboards a lot.
It's also worth finding a decent keyboard, many are just plain crap.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu