Re: qwerty layout shortcuts

Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-12-28 at 00:28 -0500, Dylan Semler wrote:
>> I know for emacs, doing ctrl-x ctrl-s and ctrl-x ctrl-c is really
>> awkword in dvorak
>
> For those who find some key combinations awkward, I'll point out that
> when you're taught to type properly, you find out that two-key
> combinations are supposed to be done with two hands.  One hand does the
> qualifier, the other does the key.
>
> i.e. For qwerty, you'd do right hand CTRL key, left hand C key.

Funny, I've been doing Ctrl+C with my left hand only for the past 30 years
and it never seemed to be "improper".  What seems "improper" to me is to
move my right hand off its "home" keys and use my right index finger to push
my left index finger out of the way since it is hovering over the C when my
pinky finger of my left hand moves to the Ctrl key.

> You're not supposed to do them one-handed, no keyboard is really suited
> for that.  That's why it's painful to do.  It's also one of the reasons
> that we have shift and caps lock keys.

I always thought people were supposed to do things in the way that is the
most comfortable or least painful.