Re: sdc suddently sdd?

On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 12:58:28 -0500
Tom Horsley <tomhorsley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just realized that sometime fairly recently my usb2
> drive I use for backups has stopped showing up as
> /dev/sdc and instead shows up as /dev/sdd (with no
> device named /dev/sdc anywhere).

Actually, it was weirder that just the name change.
A "df" command showed /backup already mounted on /dev/sdc5
and the free space about what I'd expect, but if I did an
"ls" on /backup, there was nothing there, and if I
did an "fdisk -l", it reported /dev/sdd, but not /dev/sdc.

It's like the name changed sometime after the system was already
up and the drive mounted.

I rebooted, and all seems back to normal again, but I've
never seen this particular glitch before.