Re: VOTE

On Tue, 2006-12-26 at 19:44 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 December 2006 18:02, jim tate wrote:
> >Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
> >>
> >> There is actually a goto in many languages, including C, C++ and I
> >> think Java, but if you use goto in your C program, your colleagues are
> >> liable to break your arms and knee-caps, knock out your teeth and poke
> >> out your eyes with a corkscrew and actually get away with it on
> >> grounds of justifiable self defence.
> >
> >Boy! Those C people sound like a very bad group .
> >Back in the "Basic" days of computers they where more friendly.
> >
> >Jim
>
> Nah, its all propaganda from the "if you can't dazzle them with
> brilliance, baffle them with technospeak" crowd.
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
> message by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2006 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.

I have to cut OS developers some slack on GoTo's , but have you ever
tried to debug someones code that used goto's?  expecially after the
third or forth round of "bug fixes" by unrelated developers?  Especially
medium to large projects (those over a few thousand lines of code.)

	Spaghetti code is often a very polite term to describe it at that
point.  I had the great misfortune to work on a system that could ONLY
be programmed in BASIC.  No fun!  Slightly more enjoyable than gum
surgery without nerve blocking.

	But I do also agree that a goto can be a very useful bit of code.
However I have to agree with Kernigan and Ritchie.  Please minimize its
use.

	I personally rank goto's as on a par with that oxymoron "self
documenting code".  JMHO!

Regards,
Les H