Re: Blocking Spam

On Mon, 2006-12-25 at 19:24 -0800, jdow wrote:

> NEVER EVER use SpamAssain as a filter for a mail reading agent.
> NEVER EVER use SpamAssain as a filter for a mail reading agent.
> NEVER EVER use SpamAssain as a filter for a mail reading agent.
>
> I have told you three times therefore it must be true.

;-)  Wouldn't be my choice, either.  Though various clients have that
integration feature that *ought* to do something useful, but...

> That said read up on fetchmail. It can deliver direct to your machine.

I already do.  I use fetchmail to collect from various remote POP and
IMAP server accounts.  It drops it in my mail spool (/var/mail/tim).  I
use dovecot as an IMAP server on my LAN so that I can check mail from
any terminal on the premises.

So, for me, it'd be relatively easy (I presume, looking at the examples
you provided) to jury rig spam assassin somewhere into there.  But it
hasn't seemed worth the effort for my typical daily 5:200 spam:ham
ratio.  Even more so, if I don't want to worry about accidental false
positives.

My friend, on the other hand, has ham vastly outnumbered by spam, but
would like to run his system simply:  Hitting send/receive on the mail
client gets the mail, there and then.  No delay as fetchmail, etc., goes
through a background run every few minutes.  No clicking on anything
else to spurn it into instant action.  I don't see an easy solution for
that, other than hoping the mail client could do the trick.

We do have a remote mail service that uses spam assassin, but we don't
like its configuration, nor is it easy to remotely configure, and it
becomes a DOS in itself (its bayes and auto-whitelist files fill up all
the userspace for the account before the spam does).  Ugh!

Changing host isn't an option, not at least for several months.

I'd love to learn how to use a chainsaw by practicing on a spammer's
computer.

I read messages from the public lists.