Re: Blocking Spam

On Mon, 2006-12-25 at 18:39 -0800, jdow wrote:
> It needs Archive::Tar?

Apparently so...  ["It" being part of spam assassin.]

> How are you installing it?

It was the default installation that came with FC5, plus any updates
that might have happened in the meantime.

On other boxes I had decided not to bother installing spam assassin, and
until recently didn't use it.  Evolution is painfully slow when it does
*ANY* filtering, and five spams a day versus nearly 200 non-spams a day,
meant that manual deletion isn't much of a chore.  And there's something
rather satisfying about saying, "Die you spam, die!," as you hit delete.
I just decided to try it out, to see how it does its tricks.  And to see
if it's going to be a practical solution for a friend of mine who seems
to have the opposite spam:ham ratio.

> (I jettison the Fedora RPM and use cpan. That gives you a "canonical"
> install. Before removing the RPM save the
> file /etc/init.d/spamassassin. It is useful when it comes time to make
> spamd run.)

Hmm, I've not had the best of luck with Perl, in the past.  I can
remember all the messing around I had to do to get the WDG HTML
validator installed, long ago (this needs that, ad infinitum, and *YOU*,
poor sod, had to manage it all by yourself).

> I have a dummy spamassassin RPM that installs nothing other than the
> knowledge that a dummy spamassassin is present to satisfy the YUM
> monster.

Hmm, I had thought of that approach with one or two other stupidly
*REQUIRED* but unused RPMs in Fedora.

I read messages from the public lists.