Re: FC6 & LTSP - solved

Frank Cox wrote:

I have a LTSP server that I just updated from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 6,
and also updated it to LTSP 4.2.

I can log in to the machine locally, and I can get the GDM login screen on the
terminals as well.  However, when I enter a username/password on the terminal
it accepts my password and the screen goes blank for a few seconds and then the
GDM login screen returns.

After much head scratching I have found a solution.

It appears that this may be a Gnome issue rather than a LTSP issue.

If I delete .gconf in the users' home directories I can then log in from a LTSP
terminal and set up their desktops again.
Therefore, there must be some change in one of the .gconf files between and FC4
and FC6  that is incompatible with LTSP.

Anyway, the problem is now solved and the terminals are once again working.  I
don't know if I should file a bug report against FC6 Gnome regarding this issue
or not.

Are you aware of the k12ltsp distribution that rolls LTSP and some
educational programs into a fedora base with some nicer defaults?
Whatever issue you might have could already be solved in the
recently released version based on FC6.  http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx