Just Checking re: ATI Radeon Video drivers ??

Hi;

I have had a struggle getting the fglrx driver installed. An ATI button
has appeared on my menu.  Now I am wondering if everything is installed
correctly.

The Button is titled: "ATI Display Settings" Tool tip: "Utility to
configure fglrx driver".  It opens a dialogue which is mainly empty. It
says "Driver does not provide the FireGL X11 extensions.  Panel
components will operate only partially.
Renderer: Mesa DRI 20060815 AGP 1x x86/MMX/SSE2 TGL"

Is there more drivers to add?  Is the fglrx being updated?  Is Xorg
creating a non-proprietary driver to replace fglrx that will have all
the necessary components?  Should I fuss and fume to fix something or
just wait until it is a complete package?  Will a complete package
include AIGLX capability?

etc? etc?

If anybody knows or at least has an opinion, would they please give me a
short response so I don't have extend what has become for me a major
project, ie installing a ATI Radeon 9600 video card and all its drivers.
--
Regards Bill