Re: create an .iso file from an audio cd

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 08:47 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> Contrary to Tim's speculations, AFAIR which is now a lot, you can't
> just burn an .iso file for an audio cd - it's a different sort of
> beast, not really a file system, and doesn't lend itself to that
> approach - perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what I see in many
> discussions.

I didn't say you could burn an "ISO", *you* asked about that.  An
ISO-9660 is a data format, of which audio discs are not.  However, I did
say you could create an image, and burn that.  ISO-like, in that you
have *one* file that contains everything that's going to get burnt.

I've certainly done that sort of thing before, albeit not on Linux.
Where an image of an audio CD was created as a file on disc, then burnt
to CD-WORM discs.

The difficult part, initially, is in creating the image file.  You may
have to use two files (image of the audio, and table-of-contents), or
you may be able to create a single master image for burning (the prior
two things mentioned in one go).  Once you've got that/them, you can
burn your image to a discs on various different burning programs that
offer the option.

The master image for burning (and) discs doesn't have to be an ISO file,
so long as you don't use a stroppy burning program that insists on the
image being one.  All the image needs to be is the stream of data that's
going to appear on the disc.  There are some programs which don't give
you a raw image for burning, but add extra details to the file (e.g.
instructions for burning).

I'm told DD won't work, because it's not a direct dump of binary from
the device, but still has some file system reading between it and the
device.  You can use cdrdao to get yourself an image plus
table-of-contents file, and use those to burn a disc with.  Those two
files can be used to burn discs in Linux and Windows software, though
you'll have to figure out which ones give that function.  If you want a
single master image file, you'll need to find something else to make it,
I don't know the name of one off the top of my head.

I read messages from the public lists.