Re: Baffling situation

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 20:32 -0800, Norm wrote:
> I tried switching to run level 5 rather than startx from level 3. The
> telinit command seemed to make the difference.

Starting X just starts X, you remain at the current run level.  When you
change run levels, you may start or stop services (it depends on your
configuration).  There's an autofs service used with mounting devices,
perhaps that doesn't run at runlevel 3?  There's a gnome virtual
filesystem used for some aspect of mounting, I'm not sure what that runs
at.  It's not listed as a service, I presume gnome has to be doing its
trick in an X session.

I read messages from the public lists.