Re: storing root password rpm spec file

Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 12:56 AM +0200 12/21/06, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>> Tony Nelson kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai 21
>> joulukuu 2006 00:45):
>>> I don't understand why a password is needed.
>> Because the original poster needs to supply the password for the
>> _MySQL_ root account, which is completely separate from the
>> Linux root user.
>
> That's why he should use the su command in the post-install script:  to
> "become" that user as needed.  Su'ing from root doesn't require a password.
I think you are missing the point - he needs to supply the password
for the mysql command to create a database and tables. The password
is in the mysql user database. Doing a su to another user does not
change anything. With the default mysql install, the mysql root
user, as opposed to the system root user, is the only one that can
do this. This is completely separate from the user you are logged in
as. You still need to supply the password, regardless of who you are
logged in as. (man mysql for a better understanding.)

Mikkel