Re: storing root password rpm spec file

Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:

> I know (see above) :)
>> Getting the password interactively when doing an RPM install is a
>> problem because of the design of rpm, and the fact that it may be
>> running under a front-end program, or as part of a batch job. I can
>> remember long threads about this in the past...
>
> Have you seen for example nagios-mysql (debian package) it asks for user and
> password of the mysql, that's exactly what I want.

No, I have not looked at it. But the problem you are running into is
because of the differences in the packaging systems. The RPM install
is designed to be run with no user interaction. This was a design
decision early in the development of the RPM packaging system.

It is possible to have an install script ask for information if you
are doing a CLI installation, but you are not supposed to do it.
This breaks down when you use one of the GUI front-ends for RPM, or
use a batch job to install packages.

One way around this is to have an install script that runs the first
time the package is used. Another way is to have the install script
detect what environment it being run in, and ether ask for the
password (cli), pop up a windows asking for it (GUI), or do an error
exit if it is being run from a batch file. You will also need to do
the same thing in the update and un-install scripts. Keep in mind
that you are not supposed to do this in an RPM...

Mikkel