Re: buying a 56K modem...

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 21:32 -0500, Carroll Grigsby wrote:

> The big office supply chains (Staples, Office Depot and similar) still sell
> honext-to-goodness real 56K serial modems -- usually Zoom. I suspect that
> they are sold to low traffic SOHO market for FAX and answering machine
> service. Back in my DOS days, I used a PCTools program that served as a phone
> directory, dialer and call logger. Very convenient. Hmmm...

Back when most Zoom modems were the bain of BBS Sysops. They were one of
the first that required software drivers for compression. I had about
three of them that I used by setting the init string to turn off
compression and they would work reliably at 9600 baud. I could run more
users like that, cheap SOB that I was / am. <grins> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net