Re: storing root password rpm spec file

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 10:35:51 +0100,
  Manuel Arostegui <manuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As all of you could imagine to run the sql you must be root, so, I have no idea about how to ask
> for the root password when rpm -i foo.rpm is done.

That seems unlikely. You may need to run as a privileged user for the database,
but it shouldn't be root.

> I mean, I would like to store the root password (I´ve been thinking that could be done with
> "expect") to use it with later, so then, the application will be installed and the databases will
> be set up correctly, cause I don´t want users to install the rpm and after that run by hand the
> sql file.
>
> Any ideas of what to do with the spec file?

Are you also installing the database in this package or is that going to
be a prerequisite? What database(s) are you using?

Postgres, for example, provides other methods of authentication that don't
require entering a password. If you were installing a custom version of
Postgres you could set up pg_hba.conf so that a system user could connect
as a privileged postgres user using say, ident authentication.