Re: installing libs from source

understanding rather

On 12/20/06, Brandon Rambo <bjro.rambo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
well I would like to argue the merits of a good tarball... one of the reasons that you have to run the ./configure scrips is to check for dependencies you can also tell it where you would like it installed if you do not want to install it in the default location... you can also usually enable and disable some features within that program... also you don't have to look for a special rpm for the kernel that you are running or your systems arch... also if you happened to install those dependencies that the program needs in a different location you can also specify where those dependencies are located... where as an rpm only looks in the default location and can only see things that you have installed via rpm until after you reboot then most of the time it can also see what software that you have installed via tarball.

also i have searched the WWW and its really just a whole lot of jargon that I am having trouble understating

Brandon

On 12/20/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 14:28 +0300, Brandon Rambo wrote:
> ok I may just be over looking something but I'm trying to install a
> lib required by this other program that I have downloaded... and i
> complie the lib (./configure, make, make install) and then use libtool
> to cp it to /usr/lib and when I do the ./configure on the other
> program it still says that i dont have it... am i missing something

RPM knows what you've installed via RPM (whether that being directly, or
something else, like YUM, using RPM for you).  When you try to install a
package that has a dependency on a certain file, it doesn't look to see
whether that file actually is on your system (which might well be a good
thing, that technique works on other operating systems), it looks in the
RPM database (of what's installed).

If you can install something via RPM, you'll have less issues.  Whether
that be through a prepared RPM file, or you creating your own of the
thing you're installing.  Sorry, *I* don't have any handy hints for how
to do that, but there are on the WWW.

I read messages from the public lists.