Re: installing libs from source

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 14:28 +0300, Brandon Rambo wrote:
> ok I may just be over looking something but I'm trying to install a
> lib required by this other program that I have downloaded... and i
> complie the lib (./configure, make, make install) and then use libtool
> to cp it to /usr/lib and when I do the ./configure on the other
> program it still says that i dont have it... am i missing something

RPM knows what you've installed via RPM (whether that being directly, or
something else, like YUM, using RPM for you).  When you try to install a
package that has a dependency on a certain file, it doesn't look to see
whether that file actually is on your system (which might well be a good
thing, that technique works on other operating systems), it looks in the
RPM database (of what's installed).

If you can install something via RPM, you'll have less issues.  Whether
that be through a prepared RPM file, or you creating your own of the
thing you're installing.  Sorry, *I* don't have any handy hints for how
to do that, but there are on the WWW.

I read messages from the public lists.