Re: What is an error -22 ??

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 08:13, Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 23:05 -0500, William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > I am getting the following line in dmesg:
> >
> > "bt878: probe of 0000.02:0d.1 failed with error -22"
> >
> > I am trying to get my ATI TV Wonder VE TV tuner card to work with a
> > newly installed ATI Radeon 9600 video card.  Lots of problems; the main
> > one beeing that TV window intermittently but frequently gives a 'no
> > signal' warning.
> >
> > What is error -22?  Where can I find a list of error messages that might
> > appear in my log(s)?
> >
> > I am using the bttv driver, tvtimes and tuner=2 option.  I right now I
> > am trying *all* tuner options, but so far no hint of any luck.

> Took me a minute to find the standard errnos, there is a bit of include
> this, which includes this, which includes this etc... in the system
> header files.
>
> If you look at /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h
> and /usr/include/asm-generic/errno-base.h it lists the system and
> standard error numbers and what they correspond to.
>
> An error with a negative value, i.e. -22, is not a valid value and is
> really, really bad as it is indicative of something going seriously
> awry(but you seem to already know that!).

Not necessarily on his system, though.  Every day on this FC6 box my logwatch
report tells me

usb 1-1: device not accepting address 2, error -71 ...:  1 Time(s)

I see it as I boot up, and sometimes another similar one - usb-5-1, IIRC.
They haven't caused me any problems at all.

I know that I'm not alone in seeing these - I've seen others mention them on
the lists.

Anne