Re: screensaver that shows pictures without any effects

On Sat, 2006-12-16 at 18:18 -0800, Gordon Charrick wrote:
> The GLSlideshow screensaver can be used. You have to adjust the
> settings to always show 100% of the picture and set the crossfade
> duration to none. Then it simply changes from one picture to another
> depending on the time you set with no special effects.

Every GL screen saver that I tried out crashes.  It does it's little
preview in the screensaver configuration GUI, but as soon as it tries to
run full screen, it crashes.  I haven't managed to find the information
it shows being logged anywhere, the following is a hand-typed example:

X error in timetunnel:
X error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
  Major opcode of failed request:  142 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
  Serial number of failed request:  128
xscreensaver: 01:36:26: 0: child pid 4788 (timetunnel) exited abnormally (code -1).

Using the nv video driver, on a card too old for the current nvidia
driver.  I did experiment with trying the nvidia-legacy package, but all
the grief involved in getting it installed didn't provide any tangible
benefit over the nv one (there was no obvious acceleration or
alternative screen mode choices).