Re: No monitor - HW problem

 > So the m/b could be at fault? I doubt that it could be the memory or
processor, as they are not responsible for feeding the monitor. The
BIOS it could be, though, as it is responsible for EnergyStar and the
like.

I've been following the thread and agreeing with the suggestions made but let me just jump in here.

Do not discount the memory and CPU.

The reason your are not seeing a picture is because your motherboard doesn't seem to be initializing the AGP slot properly. HOWEVER, if your memory or CPU are faulty, the motherboard won't even get to the point where it can try to initialize AGP. The motherboard's BIOS WILL NOT WORK without memory or a CPU so please don't ignore it could be one of these.

Even checking the power pack voltages would be a good thing to do.

I'm suspecting the mainboard at this stage also (normally the BIOS beeps if memory is faulty or Video Card is faulty, and I haven't seen a CPU go bad yet), but this is a computer which is only the sum of it's parts. Any part could be at fault.

One option might be to transfer the hard drive to another machine, boot
it up, and install SSH, then transfer it back. Otherwise you're probably
best off using the machine for parts.

Good idea, and wholy possible. Assuming that Fedora will boot with
radically different hardware (AMD instead of Intel processor, 1GB RAM
vs 256MB, etc...)

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

Regards,