Re: No monitor - HW problem

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> A Fedora 4 machine that I haven't touched in a while won't take it's
> monitor out of standby mode. When the machine is started, I hear the
> hard drive and fan spinning, and the motherboard give the familiar
> POST beep. However, the yellow light on the monitor does not turn to
> green, and nothing is displayed. I connected the monitor to another
> machine (my everyday machine, where it is usually connected) with the
> same cable and it works flawlessly, thus eliminatng the monitor and
> cable as problem sources. I swapped video cards (A 32mb Nvida and
> something else unknown), this did not help. Might the motherboard be
> at fault? What can I check? The machine does not have SSH, otherwise
> I'd operate it that way.

Does it sound (from hard drive noise) like the system is booting
normally? Can you ping it over the network?

Have you tried unplugging *all* drives and all cards (apart from the
video card) and seeing if you can get into the BIOS?

I presume that both graphics cards are AGP or both PCI-E. You wouldn't
have an old PCI graphics card that you could borrow? (It's not worth
buying one to troubleshoot this).

Honestly, there's very little else to blame. It has to be the
motherboard, BIOS, memory or processor, (or very possibly a marginal
power supply) since there is nothing *else* involved in getting the BIOS
up and displayed (apart from the graphics card).

One option might be to transfer the hard drive to another machine, boot
it up, and install SSH, then transfer it back. Otherwise you're probably
best off using the machine for parts.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | There's a lack of really good photo ref for porcupines.
aprilcottage.co.uk | You'd think that people were afraid to get close up to