Re: Webcam with FC6

On Friday 15 December 2006 1:29 pm, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Keith Powell wrote:
> > Wondering if that was the problem, I did a fresh installation on
> > my spare hard drive, specifying 'linux 686' at the start of the
> > install. I now have i686 for both the kernel and the
> > kernel-devel, but still i386 for the headers.
> >
> > I can't find any i686 headers to install, but I thought that they
> > were part of the devel package? If so, surely they should be
> > i686?
>
> That's normal. I'm not sure if the kernel-headers package contains
> *any* CPU instructions -- they certainly don't need a particular
> processor to work, so are considered i386.
>
> > I have worked through your suggestions again, but still nothing.
> > There is no /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/build directory.
>
> It shouldn't be a directory, it should be a symbolic link
> ("symlink"), pointing somewhere like
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i386/ -- use ls -l
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6/
> to check. It may be a "dangling symlink" -- that directory may not
> exist.
>
> If so, try running
> yum install /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i386
> which should find and install the correct package
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> James.

James.

Thank you for your reply, the information, and your suggestions.

Sorry for the delay in sending this. My ISP went faulty yet again and
there were no e-mails between last Saturday evening and this (Monday)
mid-day.

I have postponed trying to get the web cam to work, until after
Christmas - too busy before.

I have printed out all the suggestions, so will have a good go at
solving the problem when things are "back to normal" and there are
just my wife and I here on our own.

Cheers.

Keith