Re: Just nailed my BIOS & Vista partition

On 12/17/06, Hadders <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wow! That was an interesting result from Grub, I'd never have expected
that, though I can't blame Grub as it was most likely my fault.

I was trying to get it so I can boot my second hard drive, hd1 and get
its XP to load from Grub.
Choices would be Linux, Vista or XP.
I was in the command-line and typed
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
hide (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

Made sense to me, I figured it would be all good. But!! It wasn't.
Instead Vista started to load (that's hd0,0), so I'm confused as to why
XP (hd1,0) didn't.
Oh well I thought, anyway, half way through the load Vista command
console comes up and says "autocheck program not found".... umm, okay I
thought, then I hear *click* *tink* and the hard drives are turning off,
WTF! Next thing I know the machines posting with a WIDE RANG BIOS
ERROR.... WTF!

So I recovered to previous (thank you gigabyte for dual bios)...

Okay, so Grub clearly upset Vista by "switching"/"hiding" things. But..
1... why didn't that work to boot XP
2... surely it was Vista that got upset and did bad bios things right...
there's no way Grub could have done that?!

Well if you were in Vista when errors started pooping up, I would say
it's Vistas' fault. That would also put you offtopic for the list
however.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud