Re: freeze / lock up when plugging in any USB device

Well, I'm no guru, but that seems to rule out anything in Gnome or KDE
that might make your system appear to hang.  So... udev or kernel
issues?

Have you tried booting from a previous kernel? (at the GRUB prompt,
press a key and select another kernel - I'm assuming you've updated
and you have older kernels...)

Others on this list have far more experience, but what happens if you
(as root) do:
tail -f /var/log/messages
whilst plugging the device in - are other messages revealed before the hang-up?

Chris