edit .conf to get usable screen resolution in FC6?

Hi,

I've just installed both an ATI 1600 256 meg video card and a new hard disk and
have installed FC6 x86_64 on my Athlon 3500+ box. On first reboot my monitor, an
HP1955, shuts down saying the input is out of range and recommending an input of
1280x1024. OK, when I reboot I'd like to specify that resolution but don't know
how. I have a rescue cd and have booted it to a shell. The /mnt/sysimage/etc
directory seems no longer to have the xorg.conf file. I was hoping to manually
edit that to get to the resolution I want. Ideas? References?

Dave

--
In the world?s anti-Bush zones it is fashionable to regard him as an imperialist
redneck of limited intellectual capacities. -- George Ross in Le Monde