Re: gnucash 2.0.2-1.fc6.x86-64 depends on firefox

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Charles Tuckey wrote:

On 12/13/06, Peter Gordon <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
According to a `yum deplist gnucash`, Gnucash depends on Yelp (most
likely for its help and documentation system internally). Yelp, in turn,
uses the Gecko libraries of Firefox for its rendering.

Ah, thank you Peter. I didn't know about 'yum deplist'. For the
curious,  here's a synopsis of the output for yelp:

package: yelp.x86_64 2.16.0-9.fc6
dependency: libxpcom.so()(64bit)
 provider: firefox.x86_64 1.5.0.7-7.fc6
dependency: libgtkembedmoz.so()(64bit)
 provider: firefox.x86_64 1.5.0.8-1.fc6
dependency: gecko-libs = 1.8.0.7
 provider: firefox.i386 1.5.0.7-8.fc6
dependency: libxpcom_core.so()(64bit)
 provider: firefox.x86_64 1.5.0.8-1.fc6

Everything except 'gecko-libs' is also provided by thunderbird but, as
you suggested, 'gecko-libs' is only available from firefox.

This  seems strange to me - that to install yelp you actually have to
download and install all of firefox. Just looked into yelp. It is the
gnome help browser. Since I don't have yelp installed this would
explain why F1 is not working for me in my installation. This makes it
doubly strange; firefox has to be installed to view help in gnome!

Well, help in gnome relies on some libs that are included with Fx. The ideal solution would be to break the gecko-libs out of Fx and make Fx depend on them. Then other things that require gecko-libs could install them without installing all of Fx.

You might bugzilla this suggestion and see what the packager's reaction is.

charlie

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences