Re: Flagging recompiled packages to circumvent Yum Updates

At 5:51 PM +0000 12/12/06, Michael wrote:
>Following Sven Knispel's instructions
>(http://cri.ch/linux/docs/sk0017.html), today I recompiled freetype with
>the bytecode interpreter turned on, only to be told by Puplet that new
>freetype packages were available, packages which turned out to be the
>very ones I'd just recompiled (freetype-2.2.1-16.fc6,
>freetype-devel-2.2.1-16.fc6).
>
>Is there a way of flagging a particular version of a package such that
>yum will prompt for an update only when a later iteration eventually
>arrives?

When you recompile, do it as an RPM (with rpmbuild).  Before rebuilding,
change the version number to include a release number and your initials.
Install the RPM.  As it has a later release, it should take precedence over
whatever is currently in the repo.

Conversely, if you change the epoch, you can prevent later relaases in the
repo from ever replaceing your package.
TonyN.:'    The Great Writ     <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      '      is no more.             <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>