Re: Monitor destroyed by install

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 15:12 -0800, ols6000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> At 02:17 PM 12/11/2006, you wrote:
> >Has that old thing come back? I thought we got rid of that when
> >EGA monitors came out in the bad old days.
>
> Les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I have destroyed several monitors this way (I have been programming
> >a long time, and hacked a lot in my early years), but I never saw
> >the interface itself go bad.  What happened was that the flyback
> >(the circuit that produces the high voltage for the CRT) will
> >collapse and cause a voltage spike taking out the diodes, the screen
> >goes black and that's it.
>
> Sorry to disappoint you, guys, but this is a modern LCD monitor. My
> point is this: when the monitor interface card + monitor is operated
> properly, as it has been by Windows XP, everything works fine. When
> operated improperly, as by Fedora 6, the monitor ceases to work. The
> monitor fails on another video card, and a different monitor works on
> this one, so I know the problem is in the monitor, and not in the
> video card or BIOS settings.
>
> Exactly how FC6 destroyed the monitor is not important; the fact is,
> it did happen, and it should not.

Hum,

I looked at your bug report and I don't see where the signals were
mentioned.

What kind of monitor was it?  I am interested as an electronics tech on
how this could have happened.  I have seen many monitors get driven way
out of their scan ranges without affecting anything other than my eyes
as I try to figure out how what is happening.  It is interesting how a
monitor will scream if you scan it at a rate that only displays the
middle 1/10th of the screen.

Also what are the scan rate limits of the monitor?

I am thinking that this is more of a coincident like the time that my
monitor died as I was making some changes to the system.  A cold solder
connection went at the same time.

FWIW, I really doubt that the bug can be worked on with the details you
provided.