Re: FC6 equivalent to Windows System Restore

All of those are great utilities for backing up a system.

A (relatively) inexpensive system-wide backup option is to use dd or rsync to backup your system's hard drives to an external drive. It gets a little hairy b/c you have to ask yourself how much you could afford for your system to be down, and based upon that you can decide whether to back up system binaries and libraries and other things that could be restored from the original install CD + yum updates.

My advice to someone new to Linux as far as backing up data goes is to ALWAYS backup your home directory and to keep careful notes about any changes you make to the system so you can restore those changes if necessary.

Hope this helps a bit.

Reference: man dd, man rsync

DP

Quoting linux <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

tar I knew about... the rest no... Yes this is what I was pretty much
looking for... other than my $HOME, what are the important bits to
backup?
Thanks,
Ed