Re: Backup and Restore MBR

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Would you explain this? I don't get why the PT structure imposes
> a limit on the total storage used in the array. If the RAID
> is done "below" the FS, but "above" the BIOS, I don't see how the PT
> would prevent striping across discs to arbitrary sizes.

I suppose it just shows I don't use multi-disc LVM on Fedora...

No, LVM-style RAID won't be limited. Traditional hardware RAID or "fake"
hardware RAID (as found in many PC motherboards), on the other hand,
will see the 2TB limit on usable space. This is because the disks are
presented to the operating system as One Big Device, and both the BIOS
and operating systems will expect there to be traditional partitions on
that device.

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | The attitude ``The computer said so, so it must be
aprilcottage.co.uk | right'' is always amusing to the people who program them.